This Paleo Butter chicken will be a staple in your house, I am sure! Butter chicken has been a staple in my family while growing up. Now that I do not consume dairy, I wanted to make a good tasting dairy-free version! Technically, this is a butter free butter chicken so it ends up being more of a chicken curry, but it’s so great! This recipe really brings me nostalgia. The flavor profile is on point and will satisfy your Indian food craving.
GF DF Butter Chicken, without the Butter!
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 can coconut cream
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2-3 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1-2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- On medium heat, add avocado oil into a saucepan and heat oil
- Add diced onion to pan, and saute for 4 minutes or until translucent.
- Turn heat down to low, stir in crushed garlic and spies.
- Add tomato paste and cook for one minute.
- Add salt, lemon juice coconut cream and mix well.
- Turn heat to medium and bring sauce to a simmer.
- Add chicken and stir until coated with sauce. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Remove lid, add arrowroot and thicken sauce up.
- While sauce is cooking, clean and dry cauliflower. Add pieces to food processor and process until fine. Add cauliflower to pot/pan and heat up pain to medium heat. Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes to let the steam cook the cauliflower.