Growing up, Shepard’s Pie was something my family ate on a weekly basis. However, it was made with Yukon Gold potatoes. So I decided to make a Paleo version of the recipe!
This recipe is so warming and hearty! It really great for when the temperature starts to drop. Add some hot sauce on the top to add a kick of heat! Next time I think I will try this with butternut squash.
Paleo Shepard’s Pie
- 1 lb. ground beef raw
- 1 cup carrot finely chopped (about 1-2 medium carrots)
- 1 cup onion finely diced
- 1 cup celery finely diced (about 4 stalks)
- 1/2 cup of pepper finely diced
- 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
- ½ cup of beef broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp barbecue sauce
- Generous amounts of Salt & Pepper
- 1-2 medium to large sweet potatoes peeled & diced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into cubes. Place sweet potatoes in a pot of salted water over high heat. Turn to a boil and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- On medium heat, sauté pepper, carrots, onions and celery using olive oil until onions are translucent.
- Add the ground beef, garlic and include a generous amount of salt and pepper. Cook until the beef is brown and the vegetables are soft.
- Include the beef broth and barbecue sauce and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done, drain and mash the sweet potato.
- Place beef mixture in a 6 x 8 inch oven proof dish. (We used a glass dish).
- Add spoonfuls of the sweet potato over the beef mixture. Then spread it all over.
- Bake for 30 minutes then broil on high for 5 minutes.
- Let it cool for a couple of minutes then, serve warm.