Guacamole is a staple in our house; we make it almost every week. I have to admit that this is my husband’s recipe and everyone seems to love it! The healthy amount of cilantro and a hint of jalapeno really brings the recipe to life. Once you have ripe avocadoes, this recipe is simple and fast to whip up. Don’t shy away from avocadoes simply because they are known to be high in fats. The truth is, they are loaded with healthy monounsaturated fats that have been shown to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and increase HDL (good) cholesterol. The recommended daily intake of fat is 20-35% of your total kcal consumption. This recipe is a perfect way to get some good healthy fat into your diet and is a delicious snack to add to your list!
HELPFUL TIP: The best way to get your avocados to ripe faster is to place them in a brown paper bag along with an apple or banana. The brown paper bag allows for the ethylene gas that avocadoes produce to be trapped inside, which speeds up the ripening process. The addition of the fruit simply increases the emission of this gas.
Easy Guacamole Recipe
- 4-5 ripe avocados
- 1 small onion optional
- handful fresh cilantro
- 2 limes juiced 1 tbsp lemon juice instead
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Cut avocadoes in half, peel skin and remove core. Cut avocadoes into cubes and put them into a mixing bowl.
- Mash the avocados with a potato masher or fork.
- Finely chop onion and add to the bowl.
- Finely chop about a handful of cilantro and add to the bowl.
- Squeeze the juice from the 2 limes and add to the bowl.
- Add some sea salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Mix all together and serve!