PLEASE NOTE: Dr. Samina is not offering in person labor Doula care services at this time. She is able to set up a consult with you to discuss how to prepare for labor (see more information below). If you are interested in this, please book a consultation with Dr. Samina here.
As a naturopathic doula, my goal is to support you and your partner in having the positive birth experience you desire! I believe in empowering you to have trust in your mind and body and to feel confident in creating a birth plan that meets your wants and needs.
Doulas are specifically trained to provide physical, emotional, and educational support to the woman and her partner during pregnancy, labour, delivery and postpartum.
Research has shown that having the support of a doula throughout your pregnancy and labour is beneficial to reduce the duration of labour, the use of medication, and the likelihood of a c-section delivery and complications throughout pregnancy and birth.
Naturopathic doulas have the combined skills of a doula and a naturopathic doctor, which includes over 5000 hours of medical training and a comprehensive knowledge of natural therapies such as acupuncture, herbal medicine, homeopathy and clinical supplementation.
“A skilled doula empowers a woman to communicate her needs and perceptions and actualize her dream of a healthy, positive birth experience.”
Benefits to Mother and Partner
- Lower rate of post-term delivery
- Decreased use of interventions during labour
- Higher positive satisfaction of labour experience
Benefits to Baby
- Less likely to have low birth weight
- More likely to initiate breast feeding
Meet and Greet (15-30 minutes)
The meet and greet is an opportunity for you to meet Dr. Samina and learn about her birth philosophy, the services she offers, and the benefits of working with naturopathic doulas.
Initial Appointment (1-1.5 hours, 1st or 2nd trimester)
- Discuss your overall health (stress, sleep, mood, energy, etc)
- How to create a birth plan (including birthing preferences)
- Advice and resources for preparing for your birth
- Discuss any concerns you or your partner have so that you can both feel confident
- Nutrition: Specific recommendations for nutritional support throughout your pregnancy will be discussed.
- Prescription: Individual supplements/herbs/remedies will be prescribed for general health and for any symptoms you may be experiencing (ie. constipation, nausea, vomiting)
Second Appointment (1-1.5 hours, weeks 33-36 of pregnancy)
- Review your birth plan in detail
- Discuss how to prepare for your birth
- Pain management
- Breastfeeding support and demonstration
- How to properly push during labor
- Nutrition during labor
- What to bring to the labor
- Discuss possible outcomes and procedures during labor
- Discuss what to expect after birth
- Post labor recovery plan
- Baby’s health
- Acupuncture: to help with preparing the reproductive organs for labour and delivery – starting week 32 of pregnancy. Ensures labour occurs when the body is ready and decreases the likelihood of going far past the due date.
- Breech: herbs, acupuncture, homeopathic remedies, position recommendations can be great to help turn baby
- Library of books
Our main goal is to support you and your partner in the best way that we can!
I aim to work cooperatively with members of your healthcare team. The goal is to provide you with accurate, unbiased information and education on conventional and natural therapies. Ultimately, I want to support you in this time in every way that I can so that you have the most comfortable, pleasurable and supportive experience!
To learn more or to book an appointment please visit http://saminamitha.com/contactme/