Dr. Samina Mitha offers Naturopathic Doula services with the help of her doula partner Dr. Emily Casey, ND in Toronto and the surrounding area. Find out more below:
We are naturopathic doulas with the goal of supporting you and your partner in having the positive birth experience you desire! We believe in empowering you to have trust in your mind and body and to feel confident in creating a birth plan that meets your wants and needs.
Doulas are specifically trained to provide physical, emotional, and educational support to the woman and her partner during pregnancy, labour, delivery and postpartum.
Research has shown that having the support of a doula throughout your pregnancy and labour is beneficial to reduce the duration of labour, the use of medication, and the likelihood of a c-section delivery and complications throughout pregnancy and birth.
Naturopathic doulas have the combined skills of a doula and a naturopathic doctor, which includes over 5000 hours of medical training and a comprehensive knowledge of natural therapies such as acupuncture, herbal medicine, homeopathy and clinical supplementation.
“A skilled doula empowers a woman to communicate her needs and perceptions and actualize her dream of a healthy, positive birth experience.”
Benefits to Mother and Partner
- Lower rate of post-term delivery
- Decreased use of interventions during labour
- Higher positive satisfaction of labour experience
Benefits to Baby
- Less likely to have low birth weight
- More likely to initiate breast feeding
Meet and Greet (15-30 minutes)
The meet and greet is an opportunity for you to meet Emily and Samina, learn about our birth philosophy, the services we offer, and the benefits of working with naturopathic doulas. There is no obligation to use our services at this point. We understand that inviting us to be part of your birth experience is a big decision and we want to make sure we are the best fit for each other before making the commitment.
Initial Appointment (1-1.5 hours, 1st or 2nd trimester)
- Discuss your overall health (stress, sleep, mood, energy, etc)
- How to create a birth plan (including birthing preferences)
- Advice and resources for preparing for your birth
- Discuss any concerns you or your partner have so that you can both feel confident
- Nutrition: Specific recommendations for nutritional support throughout your pregnancy will be discussed.
- Prescription: Individual supplements/herbs/remedies will be prescribed for general health and for any symptoms you may be experiencing (ie. constipation, nausea, vomiting)
This appointment will take place in-office with your primary doula. All information will be shared with the back up doula.
Second Appointment (1-1.5 hours, weeks 33-36 of pregnancy)
- Review your birth plan in detail
- Discuss how to prepare for your birth
- Pain management
- Breastfeeding support and demonstration
- How to properly push during labor
- Nutrition during labor
- What to bring to the labor
- Discuss possible outcomes and procedures during labor
- Discuss what to expect after birth
- Post labor recovery plan
- Baby’s health
This appointment can take place either in-office or at your home with your primary doula. We recommend a home visit if you are planning a home birth. All information will be shared with the back up doula.
- Acupuncture: to help with preparing the reproductive organs for labour and delivery. Ensures labour occurs when the body is ready and decreases the likelihood of going far past the due date.
- Breech: herbs, acupuncture, homeopathic remedies, position recommendations can be great to help turn baby
Labour and Birth
- Arrival to home or hospital at couple’s request once labour has started
- Support will be provided based on birth plan discussion
- 24 hour/day on-call support around due date via phone/text
- Ongoing physical presence, emotional support and encouragement
- Pain management using acupuncture/acupressure, massage, homeopathic remedies, suggestions based on labour positions and physical support to help you manage the sensations you experience throughout your labour and birth
- We will also remain with you after the birth to offer breastfeeding advice and assist you in any other ways we can
- Work cooperatively with your healthcare team and family to provide support
Postpartum Appointment (1-1.5 hours, within 1-2 weeks after birth)
- Review any questions or concerns you may have from your birth experience.
- Postpartum healing: recommendations for healing, improving recovery time,
- Review nutrition
- Breastfeeding assistance and troubleshooting
- We can also offer newborn care.
This appointment will take place at your home for your convenience with your primary doula. All information will be shared with the back up doula.
- Library of books
- 24 hour on call support to answer any questions
Our main goal is to support you and your partner in the best way that we can!
We aim to work cooperatively with members of your healthcare team. Our goal is to provide you with accurate, unbiased information and education on conventional and natural therapies. Ultimately, we want to support you in this time in every way that we can so that you have the most comfortable, pleasurable and supportive experience!
Combined we have supported women throughout many different birthing experiences. We have attended both home and hospital births, worked with midwives and obstetricians, and supported women after medical induction, with epidural management, and with natural births.
To learn more about pricing please contact me at email@example.com
PLEASE NOTE: One of us will be your primary doula and will attend your birth and the other person will be your back up doula in case the primary cannot attend. All prenatal visits and postpartum visits will be with your primary doula.
– Dr. Samina Mitha, ND and Dr. Emily Casey, ND
Dr. Emily Casey, ND
To learn more about Dr. Emily Casey, ND visit her website at: http://emilycaseynd.com/