Toxins are bad all around. I have spent the last few years removing all toxins from my beauty routine. The one area I have recently been exploring is my nail polish. Did you know that 80% of cosmetics have been linked to various environmental and health concerns such as reproduction, cancer, asthma and allergies. Toxin exposure from your beauty products may also impact your hormones. This is why I have become determined to help you find out what to look for and which brands are the best!
LOOK OUT FOR THESE 7 TOXINS IN NAIL POLISH!
1. Dibutyl phthalate: this is a solvent for dyes and a plasticizer to prevent nails from breaking. It is known to be a possible endocrine disruptor meaning it can affect the hormones in your body.
2. Formaldehyde: this can be found in nail hardeners up to 5% and is known as a human carcinogen.
3. Toluene: this is known to be a skin irritant and can affect the nervous system through inhalation which may cause drowsiness, headaches and possible irritation to the respiratory tract.
4. Tosylamide/Formaldehyde Resin: this is used to form a tough and shiny layer to your nail polish. It is a known skin allergen which may cause dermatitis.
5. Camphor: this is a plasticizer that makes your nail polish flexible after application. It may cause dizziness and headaches if inhaled.
6. Parabens: this is a preservative that can mimic estrogen in the body and cause hormonal disruption.
7. Xylene: this is a solvent that prevents your nail polish from becoming gloppy. It is a known allergen and carcinogen.
NAIL POLISH BRANDS THAT ARE “3 FREE”
These nail polishes are free of the top 3 toxins 1) Dibutyl phthalate 2) Formaldehyde and 3) Toluene.
- OPI (EWG score: 1-9)
- Essie (EWG score: 2-8)
- Butter London (EWG score: 3-7)
- Sally Hansen (EWG score: 3)
- L’Oreal Paris (EWG score: 4)
- Revlon (EWG score: 3-4)
NAIL POLISH BRANDS THAT ARE “3 FREE” PLUS FORMALDEHYDE RESIN FREE
- Wet n’ Wild (EWG score: 4-5)
- NARS (EWG score: 4)
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER INGREDIENTS?? These companies are “7 free” meaning they are free of all 7 toxic ingredients listed above. No EWG scores were found for these products but their sites list all ingredients.
- Honey Bee Gardens
- Piggy Paint
** NOTE: EWG score is from the Environmental Working Group Skin Deep toxin score. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/
STAY TUNED… for my review on a few “7 free” nail polish brands.
1. How to choose a non-toxic nail polish [Internet]. David Suzuki Foundation. 2016 [cited 2 June 2016]. Available from: http://www.davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/queen-of-green/faqs/toxics/how-to-choose-a-non-toxic-nail-polish/
2. Do you need to worry about what’s in your nail polish? [Internet]. Detroit Free Press. 2016 [cited 2 June 2016]. Available from: http://www.freep.com/story/life/wellness/2015/05/09/chemicals-nail-polish/70956546/